Friday, August 14, 2015

family AIR looms...

kind of difficult to get into the composing part of this process..have been to lunch, brothers Bob and Pat were there..it's kind of strange how this is going these days...my mother has been hospitalized again..it was unclear if she would be coming back to her home or being placed in the longterm care part of the hospital...she's going to be 88 years of age in November, she's very frail and trembly, she doesn't know much what's going on but she's cognizant, just can't hear..anyways..Pat let me know she'd been put in the hospital so I drove over there to see her.  I went back the next day.  I would have gone today probably but I am having trouble getting along with Bob and his family.  That meant that I would be reluctant to be in the same room with them for fear there would be bad blood.  before my father died, he had me witness a will my parents had created that named me executor of their estate.  dad passed away and then last fall mom got really sick so bob and his wife came up.  they went through my parents' strongbox where the will had been placed.  they said they could not find it so they had a new one drafted.  this new will completely eliminates me from my parents' estate.  it leaves everything to my brother pat.  my parents built a home on the straits of juan de fuca.  it is a five bedroom house and was paid off some time ago although my youngest brother John died of cancer and th ere were medical bills during that time.  the house is well kept and full of family heirlooms ..Pat has been a lifelong batchelor so he will be living in that five-bedroom house by himself when mom either goes to a nursing home or passes away.  he said they changed the will because he was worried he wouldn't have a place to live when mom passed away.  I say 'they' because Bob's wife has been extremely involved in all of this just like she was in my daughter Angel's wedding, to the point where I have been excluded even though it was MY daughter's wedding and MY mother's estate that are involved.
Yesterday mom came home from the hospital.  I was not informed this had happened.  Bob and Pat showed up at the weekly Friday lunch we have here bringing the usual bucket of ice cream (vanilla).  I made two kinds of vegetable pasta, one a cold salad and one a hot dish.  Mom did not come Pat says she is very weak from the hospital stay.  Bob and his wife will be here until Sunday.  Bob said he would see me at church.  I said I might not be there because it was time to bring entries to the county fair.  I have a bonsai alder to enter in the garden exhibition.  I am looking forward to this.  I've been growing HiroAldo for three years now.  He's taller than the average bonsai planting and his branches are entertwined.  He's getting ready to shed his leaves as fall approaches.  He went through a dry patch or two.  He is quite unique.  I do want to have him exhibited at the fair this year.
So I'm sad about the developments with my mom.  I'd like to be there with her but have had a bad case of bronchitis and the residual cough sounds rumbly still.  And there's my brothers and sister-in-law to deal with.  I'm sad about that.  Mom got mad at me one day while I was sitting with her while Pat was having dental work done.  She said that Pat deserved to have everything because he'd looked after her when Dad died.  He has been living with them since he returned from working in Alaska.  Dad was uncomfortable with that arrangement.  He felt that Pat should not be living off of them.  Dad died conducting a civil engineering assay.  He would have been eighty years old.  When Dad died Pat stayed on with Mom.  He has degenerative disk disease.  He is unable to have a job.  He has stayed with Mom in the same bedroom he had as a child.  It's like he never left home. 
I am very sad about this.  In the will Dad and Mom drew up, the four of us living children, myself, my three brothers were to share the estate.  Since Bob and Mark have always been gainfully employed and are to this day, they don't  mind not having a share of the estate.  They think Pat's deserving of it and they agreed amongst themselves this is how it would be.  I was never consulted about it and knew nothing until I was asked to make copies of the documents at the library and mail them to Bob's attorney.  That was the only time I ever knew they had agreed to give Pat my parents' estate.  Like I say, I feel bad about this.  I've been looking after Mom when Pat has to go somewhere, for years I brought her home from church and took her for drives but now she's too frail to come to church anymore although she does try to get to the Friday luncheons.  She's missed them quite a bit since last October.  Today her place next to me was vacant.
So I don't know  how this will all end up.  Pat's health isn't that great he has onset Parkinsons and there are no heirs except Bob's children so that's probably who will end up with my family home.  My neice is doing well but nephew lives in the basement of Bob's house.  He's not doing so great. I guess I have to wash my hands of all of this and just forge ahead as I have done always.  I lived with Mom and Dad when I first returned to the area in 2005.  I  had become unengaged and was very sad.  I had a television program that was keeping my spirits up, human values sort of entertainment, and each morning while at my parents' house I would watch this tv show at 8am.  After a few days, Pat came up to me and said 'shut that off'...that's just the kind of guy he is... 

No comments:

Post a Comment